Sportline Rally Car
C107 124 SLC | 0-60 in 5.9 Sec | 255 BHP
Dimond Blue / SLC
Wet, dirty roads, mud, dust and snow… Not exactly the natural habitat of a well preened R107 SL, but for international endurance racing, an SL makes the perfect contender.
The ideal car for an international endurance rally must have a powerful engine, superb reliability, excellent build quality and a comfortable ride – look no further than the SLC.
When we were approached to assist with the build of an SLC that was to compete in the Classic Persia event, we were only too happy to help. The rally sees 10 competitors driving 4,000 miles through the ancient Persian empire, taking in Iraq and finishing in Dubai.
The SLC completed the rally with flying colours.
- Lightened and balanced flywheel and crank
- Revised injection system (featuring larger Mercedes-Benz injectors)
- Distribution Pack replacd with modern ignition coil pack for a more precise spark and better throttle response
- Mapped ignition via Omex ECU
- Free-flow performance air filter
- Re-engineered throttle linkage for better pedal response
- Performance camshaft with revised cam profile, tuned for torque
- Ported and polished head for better breathing
- Bespoke stainless steel exhaust system
- Mercedes-Benz 5 speed manual gearbox
- Adjustable progressive springs and bespoke dampers, tuned to the weight and feel of the car
- Bespoke anti-roll bar
- Aluminium rear trailing arms with anti-squat links
- Stronger, uprated suspension bushes
- Performance discs, vented and grooved for effective cooling
- Performance brake pads
- Limited-slip differential for improved traction and acceleration
- Full professional geometry set-up
- Removal of unnecessary interior components depending on application
- Bespoke Roll Cage fabrication
- Race seating fitment to required specification for driver and passenger where required
- Range of alternative steering wheels dependent on application to included dished options
- Fitment of 4/5/6 point harness’ to driver and passenger seating
- Installation of tracking, timing and video recording equipment
- Air Conditioning
Although the R107 SL was superbly engineered, we always knew the platform was capable of more. Customers were looking to make the car drive, respond and brake in line with modern performance standards. With this in mind, we started the SportLine project.
Using the 300SL as a base, we lightened the crank and flywheel, ported and polished the cylinder head, installed a performance camshaft and replaced the ignition and fuelling with modern components. Our team was also able to shorten the throttle linkage, which transforms the way the three litre six cylinder responds through the gears. With a custom exhaust and manifold, the 300SL SportLine produces 255bhp, which is more than a factory standard 500SL.
The finished car drives and handles unlike any other R107 SL. SportLine #001, our Signal Red 300SL laid the groundwork for what was to come. Since the build was completed, we have built numerous SportLine cars for customers around the world, each one to an individual brief. We have also added a SportLine range to our Parts Store, giving our customers the option to add a SportLine touch to their own cars.
Where will you take the SportLine story next?
You May Also Like
Why not get behind the wheel of our
Sportline race car see see how it feels.